Thursday, September 11, 2008

Where were you?

I remember that day, 7 years ago, exactly what I was doing when I heard the news that one of the Twin Towers had been hit by a plane. Then the second tower, then the Pentagon, then the plane in PA. It was my best friend's 30th birthday that day and I left her 2 messages....the first to wish her a happy birthday, then I called right back to inquire as to the status of her in-laws (2 of whom worked 3 blocks from the Towers). For the first time in a long time I prayed for strangers and families and for New York City itself. Over the next days, weeks and months I was proud of NYC and how they recovered and took care of each other. I was disheartened by the thieves and scammers, but I truly believed that people were doing more good than bad. A year later, I was sent to the Big Apple on business, at Christmastime no less. I found the most magical Christmas city I'd ever experienced....the lights, the department store windows, the decorations, the SPIRIT that was everywhere in that city. I took a taxi to Ground Zero because I had to, I was scared and emotional and my cab driver handed me tissue through the window. I stood on the sidewalk with said cabbie and he told me what it was like that day and how much he loved his city and every single person in it. He too was proud of New York City and how they moved forward and took care of their own during that horrible time. His twin daughters were conceived the night of 9/11 and they have the most beautiful names....Liberty and Hope. How's that for justice?
I long to take my girls to New York City and show them the most amazing city I've ever been to....I want them to experience all that is good about that glorious city and know that it is rock solid.
God Bless America!

No comments: