Monday, May 3, 2010

Sickness, Moving and More Sickness - Oh Crap!

I was sick the week before Wayne left town for work, seriously sick - knocked me on my arse for 2 days sick. As an adult I don't ever remember being that sick. I was exhausted, had this horrible cough and my ears felt like I was underwater. No, I didn't go to the dr., I was prepared to shake it off - and I have, it just took longer than I thought it would. Then of course while Wayne was gone Little G got sick and we spent a good 2 days of cuddle time and doctors visits before she was back on her game.

On Thursday, the 22nd, our new landlord called to say that we could get into the house that day (fantastic news so I could clean and get the bathrooms & kitchen set up first thing). I drove by the house 3 times and each time they were still moving stuff out, so we went back to the old house and packed and got some stuff together. Got the call that they were out, with the disclaimer that they had not done any deep cleaning, just basic stuff - they had only lived in the house for 4 months, how dirty could it be? WRONG!!!! When I hit the front door I was hit in the face with the stench of cigarette smoke and this weird funk...I'm not sure if it's teenage funk or what, but it's God awful, lemme tell ya. The former tenants hadn't cleaned ANYTHING, not the toothpaste off the faucet, not the food left in the kitchen sink - NADA. These people had 4 kids, 3 teenagers and a baby (whose crib was in the master when we looked at the house)- but seriously, this was worse than any frat guy apartment I witnessed in college. There was at least a 1/4 inch of black filth on the fan in the master bedroom - I gagged when I really got a good look at it. You have a baby sleeping in your room, what the HELL is wrong with you? So, the cleaning took a lot more time than expected - and the smell of smoke and funk still isn't out of the house completely. One of our new neighbors (who is an ICU RN & fantastic) made several suggestions on how to get rid of the smells....we pretty much live with all the windows open right now. Our landlord has been very apologetic and is willing to do whatever we need to get it all taken care of, but in the mean time GROSS!

Then came Friday the 23rd, after spending the day cleaning and moving some of the smaller stuff over, Wayne came home from NC. The girls and I were at the airport to meet him and all was right in our world for a few brief moments. We had thunderstorms that night which Little G slept right through, but Ms. J came flying down the hall after one little roll of thunder - I slept through it all. My backup was home and I was finally able to shut down completely. Saturday, I woke up feeling like a million bucks. We asked one of the Aunties to take the girls for the weekend so we could really focus on getting the move done. Auntie A was kind enough to say yes when we asked her, so I put together very explicit directions with ratios, snacks, and instructions for Little G's antibiotics. I packed the cooler bag with appropriate snacks, everything for lows an extra tester and the rest of their supplies and of course our second bible, the Calorie King book. Auntie A went to the 101 class with us here at Children's, so we're pretty comfortable with her taking the girls and they so love their Auntie A. Plus, we both carried our cells in our pocket just in case.

The move was rough, we have way more stuff than either of us remembered having before and it was just the 2 of us on Saturday. We didn't stop until about midnight and were up at 7:30 on Sunday to get ready to move furniture - Wayne's other sister E came over to help with that thank goodness! We knocked most of the rest of it out, knowing we had one more load to do on Monday and then we could clean the old house. Auntie A was kind enough to bring the girls home (she lives in North Dallas)and they showed up exhausted, happy and shoe-less. Ms. J apparently left her new favorite sandals at Auntie's house and had just jumped in the truck ready to rock n roll. Little G had taken hers off in the backseat while she settled in for a nap. They spent tons of time outside, took long walks, went to McD's (YUCK) and even got a shopping trip to Target with Auntie. She spoils them rotten - really, really rotten ($100 dollars on Easter baskets for them = ROTTEN). But she loves them and is so great to them - they would love her if she took them around the block in a wagon, but she has this desire to spoil the crap out of them, and she has fantastic taste, and won't be denied so why fight it?

So, now we're at last Monday and Wayne is at the old house getting stuff together and in walks the owner of the house new tenant in tow. We hadn't turned in keys yet, so technically we still had possession of said house - but he was pretty cool and gave us until the end of the day - at the same time reminding him that the power and water had already been turned off...WTH? So, we finished the move, wiped everything down, mopped the floors thanks to the melted ice in the kitchen sink...and now only have one stinky house to worry about. Our new landlord made the drive from LA to see the carnage and she was visibly upset - she actually lived in this house, so it's personal. I felt horrible - we asked her about doing the touch up painting, etc. and she told us where everything was and that she would take $200 off next month's rent if we would do that. YAHOO!

During all of this rigmarole, I was asked to coordinate Teacher Appreciation Week at the girls' school. Holy Crap! I sent out my letter, made my plea for support and money and then sat back and prayed these great ladies would be given the support they so deserve. The response has been a little slow, but fantastic none the less. So, we're gearing up for a great week at our little school, with these wonderful ladies I love them all and they are nothing short of angels. We have a fantastic little community and I feel blessed to be part of it all.

I relapsed last week too, right around Wednesday. I felt like someone had had their way with me with a Mack Truck, I had no energy, I had snot and a headache and no desire to do a damn thing. I barely got off the sofa and made Wayne take the girls to and fro school and told him he was in charge of dinner, dishes, etc. He was seriously annoyed that I was sick again, apparently it takes some kind of nerve to get that sick so close to the last time I was sick. It was at that point that I reminded him that it wasn't about him and that he needed to shut his piehole. He profusely apologized and has been flying right since. Nothing like pissing off a sick woman and getting the what for, huh?

We actually did have a little fun while Waynerd was in NC - I even have pics of it somewhere..I get those posted next. But we are moved and getting healthier and we are all together again which means that all is right in my world. I hope the same is true for all of you!


Joanne said...

oh wow... that is crazy you had to go through all that! Sounds like we were leading parallel lives for a little bit. I hope you are feeling 100% soon and are able to shake the crud.

I wish I lived closer so I could have come help you! I'm totally in nesting mode and have this sick desire to clean everything in sight!

connie said...

Sounds like you have had your hands full and then some!!! What a crazy week!

I cannot believe that people don't clean up after themselves when moving out of a home, I would be so embarressed to have someone else cleaning up my mess!

Glad to know that you are all together and feeling better :)

Meri said...

HOLY MOLEY! What a couple weeks!

I'm glad things are falling into place! And I really hope your house is smelling like roses soon!!