Monday, April 5, 2010

Flashback - Celebrity Apprentice

Wayne and I have been watching Celebrity Apprentice with Donald Trump this season. We don't watch the normal Apprentice, but we do love to see what charities the celebs are supporting each season. I really got hooked on this show when Trace Adkins was there to support his foundation that supports children with food allergies, one of his daughters has severe food allergies. It breaks my heart to see grown men cry...but when it's over one of their children, I most likely will keep a special place in my heart for them. Seeing Trace Adkins cry when he saw his daughter at the end of the season was a sweet vision of fatherhood that I loved watching & I cried right along with him.

This season on Celebrity Apprentice, one of my least favorite contestants is supporting the American Diabetes Association - so of course I have to ignore the shivers that threaten to run down my spine whenever he opens his mouth and put my faith in him doing well. The "celebrity" that I'm referring to is Bret Michaels....ala Poison, Rock of Love 1-40 and self proclaimed rock god to dozens. He was dx with T1 when he was 6 years old and over the past few years he has become an ambassador of sorts for the ADA. The first show of the season, his team won the contest and as project manager he was able to make a $100K donation to the ADA. He was emotional and confident and so proud to turn that money over - it made me so happy that this cheeseball is on "our" team.

Last night as the show wrapped up the previews for next week's show are running and it shows Bret Michaels taking a call from one of his daughters, then him talking about her being tested for diabetes and she apparently asked him if she was going to have to take shots like him. He looked like he had just been sucker punched in the gonads. I looked over at Wayne and he got these tears, for a brief moment, and then looked away from me. I remembered the way he looked in the hospital the night that Ms. J was dx'd, she was hooked up to the iv and he was sitting in the recliner/bed holding her and crying. Nothing has ever broken my heart more than that moment. There was nothing I could do or say at that moment that would make it better or that would lift the burden that he felt and still does over our daughters dx.

Last night as I said my prayers, I included Bret Michaels and his precious daughter - I hope that she does not have T1 and that this was what we all hoped for in the beginning - a big fat mistake, a false alarm, just a warning.

As for Bret Michaels, I hope he continues to stand out as a front runner and kicking ass for the ADA. Rock on!

1 comment:

connie said...

Hi Adrienne,

I wanted to thank you for stopping by my blog and welcoming me into this wonderful group of D-moms! My daughters are 2 and 4 years old, both with type 1 diabetes so it seems that you and I have alot in common...although my husband does not have diabetes. It always amazes me how things can seem so hard at times and then you are reminded that there is always someone out there who is facing similar if not harder challenges then yourself.

I have been watching Celebrity Apprentice too, only because I want Bret Michaels to win it for the ADA. When I saw the previews for next weeks show I felt horrible for him, I remember the tears and pain in my husbands eyes when our daughters were diagnosed...it was heartbreaking! Lets hope that it's a false alarm and his daughter is fine.